Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nameless Heroes

02/25/11. 25th Anniversary of EDSA. But I am not feeling it; maybe I am just too stressed or too preoccupied that I didn't even twit about it as form of commemoration. I guess idealism lessens when you age. Reality's too harsh that sometimes you can't help but just give in.

I wanted to be a hero. Altruism kicked in way back when I was very young - maybe 8 or 10; I really don't remember, but I was very enthusiastic back then. In fact, I thought I was destined to be the next Jose Rizal or Ninoy Aquino. I believe I am not alone into thinking that way - Efren Peñaflorida was named 2010 CNN Hero of the Year. The diference is, he had the guts to risk a corporate career over teaching kids on the streets. And I don't have the boldness to do so - worse, I would usually end up thinking of good ideas and not act on it. And so I blame myself.
Bob Ong's Kapitan Sino

Nevetheless, just like the old saying, it's never too late. I am naming here my new inspiration, that is, Kapitan Sino. The who? He's Rogelio Manglicmot in person. Thanks to Bob Ong, his story is up for grabs in National Bookstore.
My nameless hero

I was so moved that I needed to release all the positive energies in me. But I don't have a venue and I ended up drawing my own nameless hero.

And so I am writing this on EDSA's 25th Anniversary and just realized that I am commemorating it in my own way. We knew EDSA as where about 2,000,000 individuals - most of them nameless workers, parents, yuppies, teens, etc. - risked their lives for freedom and so someone else can benefit.

But I wonder, what if everyone would think as a hero? I guess that would bore us then since struggles are what make our lives so fulfilling. And I love fulfillment. I wanted to feel it in my job, in my family and in every aspect of my life. You can't always have it your way but no matter how difficult, unpleasant, depressing, humiliating it may be, I intend to make a difference. I don't need to be named; each mind remembers anyway.
Happy 25th EDSA Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...