Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Top 5 PSP Games - Part 1

I am no games expert but I greatly appreciate all types of virtual gaming -- interactive, online, handheld. After all, boys are bound to grow up addicted to gaming. At one point in time I'm sure most of us became so preoccupied with playing Super Mario Brothers, right? (Or at least those who grew up in the '80s and '90s). And we all know that boys don't just easily outgrow this behavior. I remember staying up overnight during college days just to enjoy Command & Conquer: Generals and bumming over WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos the summer after I graduated.

This post is a dedication to the kid in me that still enjoys simulated gaming. Furthermore, it's to show my appreciation to the first "gizmo" I purchased out of my own sweat, my 2006 Sony PSP.

This is Part 1 as I intend to do some more gaming in the future.

Toy Story 3 The Video Game
More of a commemoration for the movie, playing Toy Story 3: The Video Game is to delight my nostalgia for the third and best installment of the most beloved children's film franchises of all time (It sounds like a PR statement but I stand by the description!). The game shows another-point-of-view retelling of the "toys' story," taking us firsthand on the adventures of almost every character during each period of the film. Aside from Woody, Buzz and Jessie, you even get to play as Squeeze Toy Aliens and as Green Army Men, thus eliminating redundancy despite an almost routine gameplay in story mode. Of course it gets exciting as you go further into the story -- and again character switching is the best part of it all! If at some point you get bored, there are mini games for Woody, Buzz and the Aliens that are equally entertaining. On top of that, the visuals certainly feel like you are in Pixar universe!

4.) God of War: Ghost of Sparta
God of War: Ghost of SpartaWhy only the sixth God of War game (or second for PSP) of the series? Well, it's because this is only the God of War game that I was able to finish! LOL! My first take on Kratos's adventure was its "first," released via PlayStation 2 (which was not even mine; I was lend some hours to try it). I was fascinated by its engaging visuals and challenging gameplay that I instantly installed God of War Chains of Olympus on my PSP. However, I lagged within the middle of the story mode and got frustrated with it, thus I quit. Nevertheless, when I heard that a new one was coming to PSP (again), I readily gave it a try. This time, though, it was surely a blast! Putting all my learnings from playing some of its predecessors definitely helped me all throughout the game. What sets apart God of War series entirely is that you get to still enjoy all its signature trademarks on different yet entertaining stories.

Ys Seven Its intro video was too entertaining that you would be eager to just play. However, the unfamiliar-with-the-series side of me thought the "mini" characters were so funny. Yes, I did not read some reviews so I was very "ignorant" of its signature visuals. Why did I purchase it? It was recommended, and surely deserving of an endorsement. Like God of War, Ys Seven banks heavily on its well-formed original stories. This seventh adventure of Adol Christin was said to have the best visuals of the series (so far, of course). Its strength lies on its unique three-member party set-up, allowing you to switch weapons -- yes, switch characters as well -- so you can damage monsters and bosses accordingly. Having said that, the way it concludes the story conflict is all worth the effort to finish the game.

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 2: The Phantom FortressWhile it is not as popular as the other games featured, Naruto:Ultimate Ninja Heroes 2 banks on the series it's based on, that is, of course, Naruto. Yes, I am biased as I am a Naruto addict at the moment. This is also my first Naruto game so I am putting this high on the list. It stands out because it is the only 3-D fighting game that I really enjoyed on PSP. Unlike other fighting games, its visuals are regal and engaging (that most of time I get carried away). As you progress you unlock characters and teams, which are as fun as unlocking challenges in an RPG game. I believe this was the most kept game on my PSP until, of course, I got to purchase more Naruto games.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by SleepI "grew up" in Disneyland. I did not fail to watch almost every single Disney movie shown when I was a kid. And it is for this reason that seeing Mickey Mouse and most of the other Disney characters all in one adventure was a joy for me to see. Cleverly twisting the stories of our all-time favorite childhood fairy tales,  Kingdom Hearts:Birth by Sleep is the very first of the Kingdom Hearts series exclusively created for PSP. This prequel, set 10 years prior to the events of the first PlayStation 2 game, takes us back to the original setting of various Disney movies -- like exactly when Princess Aurora became 'sleeping beauty' and when Cinderella was helped by her mouse friends in creating her ball gown. I was so hooked that I spent one whole Saturday just to get midway through Ventus's episode. NOTE: I was from my graveyard shift at that time yet I did not mind having no sleep at all -- yes, that's how addicting it was!

I used to pick up my PSP just to kill boredom. Nowadays it's to escape reality. If you're too engrossed about life, sometimes it's good to just embark on a different journey from time to time.

How about you? What are your favorite PSP games?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...